This title pretty much says it all, great article too:
Protecting Us from Our Freedoms: Congress Set to Renew Patriot Act Spy Provisions by Tom Burghardt.
A couple of quotes:
As Salon columnist Glenn Greenwald writes, "the way a republic is supposed to function is that there is transparency for those who wield public power and privacy for private citizens."
As this filthy system continues to implode amidst an orgy of financial and political corruption that would make a Roman emperor blush, the capitalist oligarchy is hell-bent on shielding themselves from any meaningful oversight or accountability, thus ensuring that the secret state's war on democracy itself continues.To sum up what's being renewed:
- roving wiretaps.
- business records provision, warrant for any tangible thing. e.g. financial, medical, phone records
- "loan wolf" provision, allowing surveillance on individuals with the wrong ideological thinking
You can read all about that here:
- The Patriot Act and bipartisanship by Glenn Greenwald
- Resistance is NOT (yet) futile, thanks to Rand Paul by 'pow wow'
- The always-expanding bipartisan Surveillance State by Glenn Greenwald
I save the last article for our president who has flip flopped so badly on this issue (and others) that it leaves us with little hope (more Glenn Greenwald):
We cannot become disillusioned and give up. We cannot become complacent with the status quo. We must not become disheartened and stop voting. Vote for the candidates who take the pledge. Call us, 'United Citizens for Peace and Prosperity'.
One final note, exposing war crimes is not a crime. Free Bradley Manning. http://www.bradleymanning.org